ACEDB FAQ re SYBASE

Mary Polacco maryp at TEOSINTE.AGRON.MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Apr 17 13:19:35 EST 1995

 ACEDB FAQ Q&A #8, paragraph 3 starts:
"The advantages of our system[ACeDB] over a relational database, such
as Oracle or Sybase, is our ability to refine our descriptions
without rebuilding the database..."

This is not necessarily true, at least when Genera is
used to build the database. For the past few years, I have been
associated with curating MaizeDB, a Sybase database. We often refine
descriptions without rebuilding the entire database. New Sybase tables,
or new columns to existing SYBASE tables are able to be queried by both
the APT and WWW query forms, updatable by our on-site systems analyst
using Stan Letovsky's software, Genera.  The process of updating query
forms takes lots less time (minutes) than the decision-making (hours to
weeks) involved in deciding how the data should be represented.

-Mary Polacco

--NAA06895.798142078/teosinte.agron.missouri.edu--

----- End Included Message -----