Importing data from dBase & ORACLE dbs

Phil McClean mcclean at BEANGENES.CWS.NDSU.NODAK.EDU
Fri Dec 15 14:49:08 EST 1995

On 15 Dec 1995, Miss E. S. Hadkins wrote:

> I would like to know if there are any data transfer formats for Dbase
> files, ORACLE files and spreadsheet packages like Excel into .ace files.
> I am involved in a project tying together molecular and taxonomic data for
>  the Solanaceae family, and have access to much relevant data but would
> like to avoid manual editing, as time is very limiting.
> Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Miss Hadkins-
 I work on an ace database and receive many files in Excel format.
I save them as text, upload them to a unix box and run macros in Emacs
to convert them to .ace files.  This goes pretty quickly.  Because the
models differ from database to database, a universal conversion program
is probably not possible.

Phil McClean
Dept. of Plant Sciences
North Dakota State University