xcontigview (!)

Hugues Roest Crollius crollius at rag2.RZ-Berlin.MPG.DE
Mon Apr 29 09:05:42 EST 1996

Hello Michael,

Just to give a few precisions and give credit back to who deserves it:

In article <318464B7.41C67EA6 at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE>, Michael Otto
<otto at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE> writes:
|> Hi Newsgroup,
|>
|> is there someone with experiences compiling/installing the program
|> Xcontigview (Version 1, Release 1) by Hugues Roest Crollius ?

I didn't write a single line of code. Huw Griffith in our lab at the ICRF
in London wrote xcontigview, to help data entry in acedb. Ralph Muhlhaus from
the MPI in Berlin did a few modifications and I think that he got in touch with
you regarding the problems you mentioned, which are solved now I believe.

To inform those who don't know xcontigview and who might be interested, below
is the introduction of the README file which goes with the program.

Hugues

H. Roest Crollius
Abt. Lehrach
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Molekulare Genetik
Ihnestrasse 73
14195 Berlin
Germany
e-mail: roest at mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de

By Huw Griffiths, Genome Analysis Laboratory, ICRF, London (huw at gea.lif.icnet.uk)
(1994)

		xcontigview Version 1 , Release 1

			README

Introduction

Xcontigview is an X Windows based program designed to allow the entry of
maps from a sheet of paper into a format suitable for use by an
AceDB type database. It is built using the Athena widget set and it is therefore
neccessary to have Xaw library which is distributed with X11.
It will read images in Tiff  format though it is possible to hook on routines
to read different image formats. It will also read Hips images for which it need
the public domain Hips library libhipspub.

As this program has been developed independently of AceDB it has had to
incorporate a degree of configurability to allow for changes made to Acedb.
It will allow a user to set, by the use of a configuration file, the type/name
of the objects he wishes to enter, eg. clone, probe etc. Data is transformed
into correct AceDb format using an awk script as a filter. The progam comes
with awk scripts  suitable for AceDB Version 1 & 3 formats.