need help with aceperl

derose at my-deja.com derose at my-deja.com
Sun Jun 13 21:23:59 EST 1999

Hello Acedb experts.

I've attempting to set up a database very similar to the database that
Lincoln Stein outlined the the Perl Journal.  I've been following his
examples from the article, but it's been a struggle.

The problem that I'm running into at the moment is connecting to a
local database via a cgi script. The majority of the examples Lincoln
has all refer to a remote database, but I'm using a local database.  my
code looks like:

# open a local database connection
my $db = Ace->connect(-path => '/home/acedb/')
                        || die "Path failed ", Ace->error;

The error I receive is:
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/Ace/Local.pm
line 29.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/Ace/Local.pm
line 31.
Can't exec "tace": No such file or directory
at /usr/lib/perl5/IPC/Open3.pm lin.
open3: exec of tace /home/acedb/ failed
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/Ace/Local.p1
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/Ace/Local.pm
line 61.
Path failed Couldn't open database at /home/httpd/cgi-bin/addperson
line 6.

I'm note sure what uninitialized value on line 29 and 31 that being
refered to.  Line 29 is:
die "-path is not relevant for aceclient, use -host and/or -port"
and line 31 is:
die "-host and -port are not relevant for tace, use -path"

According to all of the documentation that I've been reading, I
shouldn't have to set -host and -port, because I'm on a local machine.
I did try to set up gifaceserver to see if that would make a
difference, but it didn't.

If anyone has any idea's, I would sure love to hear them.

Thank you

Daryl Rose

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/