Hair Cell Regrowth

Alan Hart amh15 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 10:28:37 EST 1995

Mike Tinsley (MBTINSZ1 at ulkyvm.louisville.edu) wrote:
:
:   A while back I was reading a science article that said scientists had
: discovered that hair cells in the ear actually can regrow and repair
: themselves...it just takes a long time for them to do so.  Has anyone else
: heard of this?  If so, could you make some comments on it?

I'm not an audiologist. The experiment I heard of was with birds, and it was
found that birds can regrow some hair cells after "permanent" noise-induced
hearing loss. Apparently birds are not _so_ different from humans, so it
might be hoped that humans might one day be able to take a drug to cause hair
cell regrowth. That was as far as the experiment that I heard went.

Alan