PE tubes and impedance

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at hctc.net
Thu Apr 1 11:25:10 EST 1999

"Hogwild" <choge at iland.net> wrote:

>Hello, I've got a question for you audiologists out there. What is your
>opinion on performing impedance testing on children with PE tubes? I've
>heard that it's fine, you'll just see a type B tymp and a greater physical
>volume. However, I've also heard you risk moving or "dislodging" the tubes
>and it shouldn't be done. Any information or insight would be appreciated.

I can see how a tympanogram might dislodge a "loose" PE tube, but the test
and results can be very informative when the lumen of the PE tube is in
question (ie "Is there debris blocking the tube?").

Jeff

* Jeffrey Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A, FAAA             *
* Guy Griggs Professional Building                *