MS recognizes CCCs

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at hctc.net
Fri Apr 16 15:08:40 EST 1999

 From ASHA Listserve....

>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:45:16 -0400
>From: "Evey Cherow" <Echerow at asha.ORG>
>To: internet:asha-aud-forum at postman.com
>Subject: MS recognizes CCCs
>
>MISSISSIPPI LAW PROVIDES SALARY SUPPLEMENT FOR ASHA CCC HOLDERS
>
>A provision for a $6,000 annual salary supplement for licensed, ASHA
certified, speech-language pathologists and audiologists who work in school
settings was signed into law on April 5, 1999 by Mississippi Governor Kirk
Fordice.  "Mississippi has established a precedent-setting law that will
not only serve to provide our school children with the most qualified
providers of speech-language pathology and audiology services, but attract
qualified professionals to schools who may have been previously discouraged
by the salary disparity," said Donna Geffner, president of the American
Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).

>The supplement will be in addition to any other compensation to which the
employee may be entitled. The new law also provides for a one-time
reimbursement of up to $500 for the cost of completing the process of
acquiring the certificate of clinical competence (CCC) from ASHA.
Speech-language pathologists and audiologists must submit documentation to
the State Department of Education indicating that the certificate was
received prior to October 15, 1999, in order to be eligible for the full
salary supplement in the current school year.

>However, licensed speech-language pathologists and audiologists submitting
the required documentation to the Department prior to February 15, 2000
will be eligible for a prorated salary supplement beginning with the second
term of the school year.  The local school district may agree to directly
reimburse individuals who have paid the cost of completing the process of
acquiring the certificate of clinical competency from ASHA.  The law will
become effective July 1, 1999.

>ASHA would like to acknowledge the many volunteers in the Mississippi
Speech-Language-Hearing Association (MSHA) for their long-term commitment
to this issue.  In particular, this legislation would not have passed
without the efforts of MSHA President Mary Hall, Past President Rick Burk,
as well as Georgene Johnson, and Mary Ann Mach.  ASHA provided MSHA with a
$4,000 grant in support of this legislation.  In addition, ASHA President
Donna Geffner wrote letters of support for the legislation to all members
of the Mississippi House and Senate.  ASHA Past President Nancy Swigert was
among those who provided testimony on the legislation before the
Mississippi House Education Committee.

>If ASHA members have any questions or would like further information about
this new law, please contact Eileen Crowe, Director of State Association
Relations, at 800-498-2071, ext. 4221 or ecrowe at asha.org.

* Jeffrey Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A, FAAA             *
* Guy Griggs Professional Building                *