A simple question about Gopher.

Rob Harper harper at nic.funet.fi
Thu Feb 20 06:47:19 EST 1992

In <9202192149.AA01745 at alize.ERE.UMontreal.CA> coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Coady Michael) writes:

*>Hello all,
*>	Please try not to laugh at this.  I don't understand Unix at all
*>yet, and am trying to set up a Gopher client here on a Silicon Graphics
*>mainframe running Irix.  I've FTP'd the necessary Unix gopher files and
*>even managed to figure out how to uncompress them (at least there aren't
*>any .Z at the ends of the new file names).  What I don't know is how to
*>"un-tar" them.  I've tried using the online help but I only speak English,
*>not computerese.  I tried swais but there was no mention of tar in the
*>Unix.FAQ.
*>	Sorry about cluttering the lines with an easy question.

*>Mike Coady
*>COADY at ERE.UMONTREAL.CA

You could try the following:

Zcat gopher.tar.Z | tar xvf -

This will uncompress the tape achive and pipe it to tar for extraction.
If you already have a gopher.tar file then try

tar xvf gopher.tar

and if you have trouble with permissions then try the option

tar fox gopher.tar

If you just want to "look inside the tape archive"

tar tvf gopher.tar

should do the trick... if none of these work then get in touch with
a local guru

RGDS -=ROB=-
   Rob Harper                     /   E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
   Finnish State Computer Centre  /   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
   P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo    /   Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
   Finland                        /   Fax:             +358 0 457 2302