Still plodding

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Thu Feb 20 03:48:15 EST 1992

In article <9202200112.AA07584 at alize.ERE.UMontreal.CA>, coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Coady Michael) writes:

> gopher0.7/client:Permission denied
> tar:can't make dir  tar:can't make dir  tar:directory checksum error
>
> or something like that.  Any advice would be welcome, and I am
> grateful to those who have already sent in advice.

I presume that you ftp'ed it in BINARY mode, otherwise it would never work.

Mike, do you accidentially have quota enabled on your system? check
with
% quota -v
and see whether you may not exceed the limit. Secondly, is it possible that
you have a protection problem? Check the owner of the gopher directory
with
% ls -ls gopher0.7
and then do a
% ls -ls ~/.cshrc
If the owner of the two files do not  match you are in a problem which might
be difficult to solve. I don't know which platform you are on but if
the
% tar xvof gopher0.7.tar
does not work you might want to add OV  options (POSIX tar) and maybe
i to override eventual problems with the checksum. If you  want to play
a bit you could cd to /tmp and try a tar WITHOUT the o option in the form
% tar xvf ~/gopher0.7.tar

If still everything goes wrong try to see whether the tar archive is
readable at all with
% tar -tvf
If not, try to ftp again.,

Regards