New MAC gopher

Rob Harper harper at NIC.FUNET.FI
Wed Feb 19 05:15:07 EST 1992

*>From: fxa at boombox.micro.umn.edu ("Farhad Anklesaria" )
*>Newsgroups: alt.gopher
*>Subject: Version 1.1.9 of Mac gopher burrows in the background
*>Date: 19 Feb 92 04:08:53 GMT
*>Sender: news at news2.cis.umn.edu

Apologies in advance: I had sent this message out a few days back, but
our sendmail choked on the (now very large) list.  Things should be patched
up now, and so I'm repeating this posting.

Version 1.1.9 of the Mac gopher client is up for anonymous ftp from
boombox.micro.umn.edu.  Or you can use your current Mac gopher client
to fetch the future gopher client: look in the Popular FTP Sites folder
(that's in the FTP Searches folder).

In version 1.1.9, if a server is taking a long time to return a response,
you can type command-period to cancel the wait.  It won't just time-out.

A bonus that comes with this is that the stack will now run in the
background while waiting on a response from a server. So, when you are
in one of those interminable waits for archie or ftp or something,
clicking on the window of another application will send gopher into the
background.  Then you can peacefully compose poetry, read netnews or
compile in the foreground while gopher scurries in the background.

If you haven't checked out Natalie's cool scurrying gopher cursor
that's another reason to get this version.  You can of course use your
current Mac gopher client to fetch the future gopher client: look in
the Popular FTP Sites folder (that's in the FTP Searches folder).

F.

--
Farhad Xerxes Anklesaria                         University of Minnesota:
Curmudgeon-In-Residence                          Land of 10,000 Claghorns.
fxa at boombox.micro.umn.edu