WAIS for Windows...

Rob Harper Rob.Harper at CONVEX.CSC.FI
Tue Feb 11 15:34:47 EST 1992

>From: fullton at samba.oit.unc.edu
>Newsgroups: alt.wais,comp.windows.ms
>Subject: WAIS for Windows - at last!
>Date: 11 Feb 92 15:58:19 GMT

        At last - WAIS for Microsoft Windows!  Even better, it is Visual
Basic based.

        Tim Gauslin, from USGS, and I have put together a WAIS
client for Microsoft Windows.  Since it is based on Visual Basic and
uses a DLL made from the WAIS distribution, users can create their own
graphical clients without having to know C.

        Those of you at the WAIS Conference saw the non-networked
version of the client.  It works just like the Question panel of
XWAIS.

        For those who don't like to read documentation, you can get it from
ftp.oit.unc.edu in pub/wais/UNC/Windows.

        Here are the details:

WAIS For Microsoft Windows

WAIS for Microsoft Windows was developed by Jim Fullton (UNC) and
Tim Gauslin (USGS).  Jim did the port of the WAIS protocol to Windows.
Tim created the WAIS DLL and the Visual Basic Interface.

WAIS for Windows uses Visual Basic as its visual interface.  You
can develop your own custom client using Visual Basic, without
having to know the first thing about C.  Visual Basic is cheap and
*highly* recommended.

WAIS for Windows requires LAN Workplace for DOS, from Novell.  If
you would like it to work with some other interface, tell me how
to get that particular communications package.  I don't have a budget
for this, so it needs to be free.

Please send suggestions and bug reports to Jim Fullton.
(fullton at samba.oit.unc.edu)

INSTALLATION

Get the file winwais.zip from ftp.oit.unc.edu.  It is located in
pub/wais/UNC/Windows.  Log on as anonymous and use anything as the
password.

On your PC, create a directory called WAIS.  Put the .zip file in it and
unzip it with PKUNZIP.  Copy both DLL's (vbrun100.dll and wais.dll) to your
windows\system directory. NOTE:  vbrun100.dll is provided with Visual Basic.
The Microsoft License Agreement allows it to be freely distributed with
Visual Basic applications.  If Visual Basic is already installed on your
system, you do not need vbrun100.dll.

Get into Windows 3.0.  Execute the WAIS.exe program.  Press the
Add Source button.  You will see the directory-of-servers server
entry.  You are now in business.

For more information, send e-mail to Jim Fullton (fullton at samba.oit.unc.edu).

        Jim Fullton
        UNC Office of Information Technology