DNAfrag v 3.03 (msdos) README

Rob Harper Rob.Harper at CONVEX.CSC.FI
Mon Feb 3 10:09:16 EST 1992

Whenever I post a README file to bionet.software.sources, I will
also copy it here to bionet.software, and give the location where
it can be found via anonymous ftp.

RGDS -=ROB=-

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%   CLIP FROM John Nash  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

G'day,

"bionet.software.sources" has been a bit quiet lately, so here's a little
program (for the IBM-PC) that I thought folks may find useful...  I have a
couple more like it in the works.

---
Short description:

filename             DNAfrag
update               30 Jan 1992
version              3.03
size                 47112 bytes
compressed           LHA self-extracting
ASCII conversion     UUE
author               John Nash
description              see long description below...
literature           -
source code          -
sw requirements      -
hw requirements      IBM PC, XT, AT, PS/2 or compatible with MDA, CGA, EGA,
                     VGA or Hercules graphics card.

---
Long description:

DNAfrag version 3.03

This program is used in restriction mapping of DNA or sizing of proteins
from agarose or SDS-PAGE gels.  It calculates the size of restriction
fragments or peptide bands on gels or autoradiograms if standards are
run on the same gel.  DNAfrag calculates a standard curve of the standard
DNA or protein bands using their mobilities (measured by you) using the
"Least squares fit of DNA fragment length to gel mobility" algorithm
of Schaffer, H.E. and Sederoff, R.R. (1981), Analytical Biochemistry
vol 115, pp 113-122.

DNAFRAG was designed to be used in university "mass" computer lab
facilities, and it should work on any sort of IBM PC, XT, AT, PS/2 or
clone, using MDA, CGA, EGA, VGA or HGC video cards.  A hard drive is NOT
required and it will fit on a 360K 5.25" floppy disk.

It was modified from a FORTRAN implementation derived from the original
paper, and was re-written with a "user-friendly interface" for people who
are unfamiliar with computers.  I found it ESPECIALLY useful in a 4th year
"Introduction to Molecular Genetics" lab class I taught (as have several
colleagues).

To run the program, type "DNAFRAG".  It is completely menu driven, and
contains an Instruction module.

sincerely,

John

Dr John Nash,
Institute for Biological Sciences,
National Research Council of Canada,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Email:  Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca

DNAFRAG is available by ftp from nic.funet.fi in the directory
/pub/sci/molbio/msdos

   Rob Harper                     /   E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
   Finnish State Computer Centre  /   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
   P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo    /   Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
   Finland                        /   Fax:             +358 0 457 2302