QBlazer modem

Bennett Dyke bdyke at DARWIN.SFBR.ORG
Mon Sep 14 15:01:53 EST 1992

Many thanks to those who responded to my question about configuring
Telebit QBlazer modems for our Sun 4.  Here is what appears to be a
solution.

>> ORIGINAL PROBLEM
>>
>> How to configure Telebit QBlazer modems to work on a Sun 4/670 -
>> SunOS 4.1.2.  The modems are connected to ports ttyh9 and ttyha of
>> a 16 port ALM-2 board.  Two 2400 baud Everex modems have been
>> working on these ports for some time.
>>
>> SOLUTION
>>
>> ALM-2 ports 4-15 are not configured for modem control.  This
>> apparently does not bother the 2400 baud Everex modems, but
>> prevents the faster QBlazers from functioning.  Pin-outs for
>> the ALM-2 are shown below.
>>
>> Two solutions appear possible.
>>
>>         1.  Configure the modems on ports 0-3.
>>         2.  Disable DTE hardware flow control on the QBlazer (S58=0)
>>
>> I have tried solution 2 and it works.  Relevant QBlazer settings
>> are shown below.  I plan to try solution 1 this week and expect that
>> it also will work.  The rest of the setup (building cu devices, ttytab,
>> etc) is just as described in the Sun System and Network Administration
>> Manual.
>>
>> Frank Lowe
>> Southwest Foundation For Biomedical Research
>> San Antonio, Texas
>>
>> internet: (flowe at darwin.sfbr.org)
>> voice:    (512) 674-1410
>> fax:      (512) 670-3316

>> ALM-2 Information:
>>
>>                     ALM-2 RS232 Port 0-3
>>                    (25-Pin D-Sub, Female)
>>
>>                 Pin   Signal   Pin   Signal
>>                 2     TxD      8     DCD
>>                 3     RxD      15    TxC
>>                 4     RTS      17    RxC
>>                 5     CTS      20    DTR
>>                 6     DSR      24    TxCO
>>                 7     GND
>>

>>                    ALM-2 RS232 Port 4-15
>>                    (25-Pin D-Sub, Female)
>>
>>                 Pin   Signal   Pin   Signal
>>                 2     TxD      8     DCD
>>                 3     RxD      20    DTR
>>                 7     Gnd

>> QBlazer - Version MA1.01
>> Relevant or non default settings:
>>
>> E0      no echo
>> Q0/V0   send numeric results codes
>> X0      minimum result code set
>> &C1     assert DCD only when remote carrier signal is present
>> &D3     hangup and reset profile A if DTR loss
>> &R2     hardware flow control honored if enabled
>> S0=1    auto-answer after 1 ring
>> S50=0   auto speed determination modem<->modem
>> S51=4   DTE interface speed 9600
>> S58=0   hardware (RTS/CTS) DTE flow control <<<
>> S60=0   8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit data format (p8 set in gettytab)
>> S68=2   hardware (RTS/CTS) DCE flow control

|   Bennett Dyke                                                             |
|   Department of Genetics               Internet:  bdyke at darwin.sfbr.org    |
|   Southwest Foundation                    Phone:  (512) 674-1410 Ext 281   |
|   P.O. Box 28147                            Fax:  (512) 670-3317           |
|   San Antonio, TX 78228, USA                                               |