Hydrophobic Cluster Analysis

jlr Jean-Louis Ruelle jlr%dnet.rxvgen at smithkline.com
Thu Sep 10 10:44:51 EST 1992

Paula E. Burch writes:
>Can anyone point me to a program for performing hydrophobic cluster
>analysis of protein sequences? I've read mentions of HCA plot, written
>in Fortran 77, and also HCABAND in BASIC.
>
>The reference is C. Gaboriaud, V. Bissery, T. Benchetrit and J.P. Mornon's
>Hydrophobic cluster analysis: an efficient new way to compare and analyse
>amino acid sequences, FEBS Letters 224(1):149-155 (1987).
(some stuff deleted)

You can find a pretty good implementation of the HCA plot, although b/w only,
as a menu item in the freeware macintosh program called DNAid, available
at ftp.bio.indiana.edu.

I hope it helps.

Jean-Louis Ruelle                          Dept of Molecular Biology
SmithKline Beecham Biologicals             jlr%rxvgen.dnet at smithkline.com
Rue de l'Institut, 89
1330 Rixensart, Belgium.