DNA analysis software for Macintosh

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Fri Apr 2 11:48:49 EST 1993

In article <1993Mar31.144114.3097 at ucbeh.san.uc.edu> craftdl at ucbeh.san.uc.edu writes:
>I am in need of an inexpensive DNA analysis software program for the Macintosh.
>The program should be able to do sequence comparisons, restriction enzyme
>analysis, translations, etc. I realize there are excellent programs available
>for the Macintosh;however, graduate students on a limited budget cannot afford
>these expensive programs. This problem is compounded when your department is
>basically PC oriented and cannot purchase a program for the Mac. If anyone has
>suggestions or knows of inexpensive programs, please mail me at
>CRAFTDL at ucbeh.san.uc.edu

Sounds like what you're looking for is Don Gilbert's SeqApp - available
by gopher or anonymous ftp at ftp.bio.indiana.edu - a little clip from
the readme is as follows:

SeqApp is a biological sequence editor and analysis program for
Macintosh computers.  It includes links to network services and
external analysis programs.

Features include
	multiple sequence alignment editor
	single sequence editor window
	read and write several sequence file formats
	easy hand alignment features including colored bases and sliding
	automatic multiple sequence alignment thru Clustal external app
	automatic gel fragment alignment to contigs thru exernal app
	consensus,reverse,complement,degap operations
	restriction maps
	dot plots
	translate dna to/from protein using various codon tables
	automatic preference saving
	internet send mail, read mail
	internet gopher, information retreival including genbank.
	internet sequence analysis services
	user-definable links to external analysis programs
	and more

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu