Molbio Software Standard

Bradley K. Sherman bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov
Thu Apr 1 23:50:40 EST 1993

Go for it guys.  While you biologists are standardizing and writing
the software standard we programmers will be standardizing the meaning
of locus, gene, allele, wild-type, species, homology, germplasm, site,
map, mutation, pathogen and trait.  Then we will tell you the common
format for segregation data that is self-descriptive with regard to
the pedigree, type of cross, and ploidy.  Next we will tell you how
to name your probes and libraries.

By that time you should just about have come to terms with small, medium,
huge and obese memory models for MessyDos, resource forks in Macs, record
types in VMS, concurrent record updates, non-deterministic operating
systems and the deadly embrace.

If you guys keep thinking of programmers as lab techs we're not going
to get anywhere.

    Captiously,
    --bks

--
Bradley K. Sherman, Dendrome Project
Institute of Forest Genetics, USDA Forest Service
Phone: 510-559-6437   FAX: -6440 Internet: bks at s27w007.pswfs.gov