Cladistics Programs for Dos/Unix?

Carol Bult bult at BENGAL.TIGR.ORG
Fri Apr 2 09:19:25 EST 1993

Rober Guralnick asked about cladistic analysis programs for DOS/Win or
UNIX.

The DOS-based cladistics program I use is Hennig86 which was written
by Steve Farris. The program cost is modest, ~ $50.00 (U.S.), but I'm not sure how
Steve is handling the distribution of the program because he no longer
lives in the US. He is working on a new version which I think he plans
on releasing this summer at the Hennig Meetings (August 9-13,
Fullerton, CA.).

Kevin Nixon (Cornell University) has written a program called CLADOS which is
file compatible with Hennig86. I haven't used the program yet, so I'm
not sure what its capabilities are. You might want to contact Keven to
find out more about his program:

Dr. Kevin C. Nixon
LH Bailey Hortorium
Cornell, University
Ithaca, NY 14853

Again, the cost is modest (last I heard, it was $50).

There is an old, old DOS version of PAUP (Phylogenetic Analysis Using
Parsimony, by David Swofford), but I'm not even sure if David
distributes it anymore. My understanding is that he is working on a
Windows version of PAUP, but it will probably be awhile before that is
ready for distribution.

Joe Felsenstein distributes the C source code for his program, PHYLIP,
via anonymous FTP. He just released version 3.5. It's free and can run
on 386 or 486 PCs or UNIX. The FTP site is:

evolution.genetics.washington.edu (IP 128.95.12.41)

If you can't access the files via FTP, you can send him several diskettes (call him first
to find out how many you would need to send) and he'll send you the
program that way.  Joe's address is:

		Dr. Joe Felsenstein
		Dept. of Genetics
		Univ of Washington
		Seattle, WA 98195

Good luck..

Carol

Carol Bult, Ph.D.			bult at tigr.org
The Institute for Genomic Research
932 Clopper Road			voice: 301-869-9056
Gaithersburg, MD 20878			fax:   301-869-9423