Free EMBL-database query/search software ?

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Tue Apr 6 01:07:08 EST 1993

In article <tonko.734023501 at hprd26a>, tonko at hprd26a.cern.ch (Tonko Ljubicic) writes:

|> Does somebody have any experience/opinions/recommendations about
|> the freely available EMBL-database search/query tools ?

As I responded to you privately already, there is a lot of software
out there which you can use. Amos Bairoch has assembled a very useful
list of Molecular Biology Archives and Mailservers which is available
on many FTP sites (at ours, it is in /info). With respect to query systems,
the Sequence Retrieval Software (SRS), copyrighted by Thure Etzold, is
just going into Beta testing. ATLAS from the PIR International as distributed
on their CD should also run on UNIX.

|> Is anybody out there using any of them ? Or everybody uses the
|> mail-server ? Eh ?

I already offered to you the services of the Swiss National EMBnet node.
Nodes of the European Molecular Biology Network (EMBnet) are prepared
to answer questions of this kind specifically and detailed.

|> these packages to make them run on my system(s) but is it worth
|> the trouble ?

Maybe you enlighten the audience what your UNIX is like. Unfortunately,
UNIX comes in so many flavours that you might fight very hard in
hacking your code if you got a rare brand.

--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+