Re-Post: WinSock Software - a long, hot summary

Harry Mangalam mangalam at SALK-SC2.SDSC.EDU
Sat Apr 24 13:40:18 EST 1993

This is a repost - Ignore if you've seen it already - it didn't get back to
me or to some West Coast people.

Also a further correction:  The new Toolbook Gopher that Kevein Gamiel
mentions being released yesterday still hasn't shown up at ftp.cnidr.org,
but is at the sunsite and boombox archives.

My apologies for continuing a subject slightly off-topic, but since my
original post on this subject, I've gotten several more queries directly,
so it may be of interest to others as well.

I originally wrote:

>  I've been looking about for a WinSock compatible WAIS client for Windows and
>>finally found one by accident.  Netmanage.com has both clients that are
>WinSock >1.1 compatible on their FTP server at (what else?) ftp.netmanage.com
>in the >/pub/winsock directory.  You must ftp from an NIS-registered host,
>though - if >they can't verify your host, you can't get in.

>   Both are Asymetrix Toolbook clients (relevant exe's and dll's included),
>and >both are written by Kevin Gamiel from UNC (and probably both can be got
>from an >UNC ftp site, but I haven't looked).  Both purport to be very early
>versions >but both work reasonably well.  I'm using the Netmanage-supplied
>Winsock stack >and I've had no (insurmountable) problems yet...

Some corrections and expansions: