SUN vs SGI

cup at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca cup at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca
Mon Apr 26 19:12:46 EST 1993

 I'd like to know a little about the groups ideas on preferences between
SUN and SGI workstations. At the moment I use a Sparc 2 to run the GCG
package and also the Staden package (for ABI sequence data) with a few
other programs such
as MASE and PRIMER.
I know GCG will run on SGI, does anyone have th e Staden package running
on SGI? Output is to X-windows but is this SUN specific?
There's also a great progam from Michael Zuker for sub-optimal dot plots
on the SGI only.
But other considerations....?  Cost for comparable machines (I'm looking
into it), ease of administration (I'm no progammer). Probably better
graphics packages for displaying protein structures on the SGI, this could
be important.
Are the SGIs moving away from being "crystallographer-only machines"?

Thanks for any advice,

Chris Upton
Biochemistry
University of Alberta