BioVeronica (was Re: IUBIO archive usage statistics)

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Wed Apr 28 11:16:26 EST 1993

robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:

>smith-una at yale.edu (Una Smith) writes:
>>1,500,000 items are left when redundant entries were removed.
>>360MBs is the current size of the Veronica data set.

>Una's information-rich post points out what may end up being a "problem"
>with Veronica -- it's covering such a wide field.  I love gopher, but
>confess to heavily using but a few sites because it is not always
>easy to find stuff.

Two major points to add here. Despite the fact that all gopher providers
try their best, only a (unknown) fraction of information is available.
I.e., if you hit an information, you do neither know how up-to-date this
is, neither whether it is the only one on that area being in GOPHER or
the only one available at all. And, due to the freely available character
of GOPHER, you get what you paid for.

Secondly, I love GOPHER because of its simplicity. And I hate GOPHER because
it gets me only >quite< the information I need, not the 'real' one. Take
the example of sequence retrieval - Certainly booleans and whatever tricks
make it possible to do rather effective searches. Still, list refinement
is not possible, neither linkage to other databases etc. Therefore, looking
at the biology GOPHERs, it might be worth to investigate the underlying
search engines, and come up with more specific tools than full-text search.

Regards
Reinhard