PAUP and other software

Doug.Eernisse at UM.CC.UMICH.EDU Doug.Eernisse at UM.CC.UMICH.EDU
Wed Feb 10 13:24:34 EST 1993

Because a few potentially misleading responses to "where to get
PAUP" were posted recently, I will lift the following from
a previous answer to this FAQ by Jochen Kleinschmidt:

 How to get PAUP (Phylogenetic Analysis Using Parsimony):

> The only up-to-date version of PAUP presently available is version 3.0s for
> the Mac (dated Dec. 1991).  I understand that David Swofford is also
> working on an updated version for PC-DOS machines (under Windows?) as well
> as on a universal graphical interface which will first be implemented in a
> Unix version.
>
> Version 3.0s of PAUP for the Mac can be obtained from:
>
> David L. Swofford
> c/o Mary Lou Williamson
> Illinois Natural History Survey
> 607 E. Peabody Drive
> Champaign, ILL 61820, USA
> Phone: 217-333-6846
>
> Send to Mary Lou Williamson at the address above: (1) a check for $50.00
> ($60 outside North America) drawn on a U.S. bank and made out to the
> University of Illinois/IHNS, or an International Money Order, (2) a note
> stating that you understand that the present version of the User's Manual
> is a draft that is incomplete in many parts, and that this is acceptable to
> you.  You will receive the program with manual within 2-3 weeks.  A final
> version of the manual will be sent to you once it is finished.
>
> PAUP is an excellent program that is quite usable even with the present
> incomplete manual.  It runs even on classic Macs.  For $50, it is a
> bargain.  If you're in the habit of ripping off software companies by using
> illegal copies of their products, DON'T do this with PAUP!  David Swofford
> provides a tremendous service to molecular phylogenists with this program,
> and the amount he charges goes into a Univ. of Ill. account and is used
> only to cover costs and pay for some upgrades in hardware and software that
> make his life as a program developer easier.  You wouldn't want the man to
> get disgruntled and stop improving his program, an activity to which he
> devotes a good amount of his time (undoubtedly too much, from his
> perspective).  The PAUP production is a one-man operation, and the reason
> why it is somewhat inconvenient to obtain the program is simply because
> David's use of a simple "cash sales" account keeps the price of the program
> to a minimum.  Overseas users are probably best off sending in an
> International Money Order.

It is true that David Swofford has moved to the Smithsonian, but I
PAUP is still distributed by Illinois Natural History Survey, and
should continue to be distributed by them. I wouldn't be so optimistic
about the 2-3 weeks quoted above, however. I believe that he may
want to delay as much as he can until 3.1 is available, to cut down
on postage and diskettes. I don't know this for a fact, though.

Doug Eernisse
Museum of Zoology, Univ. of Michigan