GeneWorks for Mac Performance

Jeremy John Ahouse ahouse at hydra.rose.brandeis.edu
Fri Feb 12 18:08:11 EST 1993

In article <9302121850.AA08247 at salk-sgi.sdsc.edu> Harry Mangalam,
mangalam at SALK-SC2.SDSC.EDU writes:
>   If you have not irreversibly decided on GW, I'd suggest at least
trying
>out MacVector 4 (and AssemblyLign and Sequencher (from GeneCodes), if you
>do a significant amount of sequencing) and DNASTAR (which gives you a
>60-day fully functioning version to evaluate, instead of the decerebrate
>demos from GW and MacVector (altho they do have a 30 day return
policy)).
>Additionally, DNASTAR is the only one which is networkable.

I want to second Harry's suggestion that you push companies to let
you evaluate their software.  We are in the process of doing this now.
It is painful, but will hopefully be worth the time.  I tried to
evaluate MacVector but as was mentioned it was so crippled that it
fell off the list since we didn't feel that we could judge it.  (still
the comments about their new version may force us to take another look).

I do think that GeneWorks either have or are planning network versions.
This becomes really important when the copy-protection is a hardware
dongle.

        	Jeremy John Ahouse
        	Center for Complex Systems and Biology Dept
        	Brandeis University
        	Waltham, MA 02254-9110

        	(617) 736-4954
        	email: ahouse at hydra.rose.brandeis.edu