GCG Synchronisation Problem

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Tue Jan 5 12:47:56 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan5.145442.6246 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, PARSONS_A at snd01.pcr.co.uk writes:
|> message - makes you wonder what we a re paying GCG maintenance for
|> sometimes.

I wouldn't be that harsh. Guess where the knowledge comes from first - I
found the GCG guys to be quite responsive, as compared to other software
companies. I certainly would appreciate to get all maintenance for nothing
:-) but I am afraid that we would wait very long to get the next version
this way. You certainly can flame anyone we ought to pay money  but
the example chosen isn't the prototype suited for blaming.

By the way: did you get the databases from GCG or did you get them else-
where, and how much did you pay for getting the databases? If you consider
the current situation of the database vendors, all people expect that
the data are available for free on FTP, and certainly formatted in
all available and possible formats. That is apparently true for some
databases, but you get what you paid for. I don't want to pay more
either (in particular, the database you had problems with is not the
cheapest on the block if you purchase its CD-ROM), but the current funding
model for databases is that the public state money funds the databases
with really big money, and the users get it for negotiable money. If
the current growth continues, I am pessimistic enough to predict more
of these problems as you had in the future.

Regards
Reinhard

--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+