Ethernet card recommendations for MacII

Bill Williams bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu
Tue Jan 12 12:46:43 EST 1993

In article <1iaoi4INN3vf at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> Cheung C. Yue,
ccy at po.CWRU.Edu writes:
>I am daydreaming again, hoping to put the Mac IIsi in my laboratory
>on the net.  Not being particularly familiar with Mac's, I would
>like to solicit recommendations for brands of ethernet cards.  Also
>I would welcome suggestions of appropriate software (I suppose NCSA
>Telnet is probably the best).

I have a NuvoLink SC box on my IIcx, and it has worked perfectly for
about a year, now.  I got the box, instead of a card, because at the
time I had an SE and expected to move up. If there is some chance you
will be changing machines, I think the box is an excellent investment.

I use the following software:

MacTCP, which I got free with Eudora, as my router.
Eudora, which I got free with MacTCP :-), as my mail program.
Nuntius for news.
Fetch for FTP.
TurboGopher for Gopher.
NCSA Telnet (MacTCP version) for the increasingly rare occasions in
which I need to log on to another machine.

You will probably note something that all of the above programs have in
common:  they are free!
William E. Williams, bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu
Divison of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
St. Mary's College of Maryland
St. Mary's City, MD 20686