Postscript on the screen

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Wed Jan 13 13:28:17 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan13.161027.1114 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> BIONET at FRCGM51.EARN writes:

> Happy new year to all of you!
>
> Here is a simple question: suppose I write a program in Postscript in order
> to produce a nice and beautiful scientific drawing. Now I want to have a look
> at it.
>
> - I can print it on our laser printer attached to the Vax
> - I can no more print it with my Mac because the version of SendPS that I
>   used does not work with System 7. Does anyone know where I could retrieve
>   a recent version of SendPS ?
> - I can display it on our VaxStation thanks to Display Postscript.
> - I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DISPLAY A POSTSCRIPT FILE ON MY MACINTOSH SCREEN!
>   This is really ridiculous. Does anyone know of a program which enables to
>   display a Postcript file onto a Mac screen ?

SendPS does not work with System 7. On a Macintosh running system 7
you'll need the LaserWriter Utility available on the high density TidBits
disk from System 7 or the More Tidbits disk from the 800K distribution.
It's also available for anonymous ftp from ftp.apple.com in
/dts/mac/sys.soft/imaging. LaserWriter Utility allows you to send files to
the LaserWriter in such a way that PostScript commands get interpreted as
PostScript rather than as text to be printed.

There is also a version of Ghostscript for the mac which may allow you
to display postscript (I've never used Ghostscript on the mac - just
on Unix boxes).  You can ftp Ghostscript for the mac from
sumex-aim.Stanford.EDUin the info-mac/util directory (or via gopher).
The payware products Canvas 3.0 and TScript allow viewing PostScript
files on the Mac.

You can find all of the above information and retrieve the program using the
services provided in the
      16. Usenet News and FAQs/
and
      14. Search and Retrieve Software/