MacTCP and Eudora

Harry Mangalam mangalam at SALK-SC2.SDSC.EDU
Thu Jan 14 15:12:33 EST 1993

Stephen Baird  writes:
>In a previous posting a couple of weeks ago, someone had mentioned that
>MacTCP and Eudora were free. I had been told previously that they were
>not free. Could someone clarify this for me. Also, does MacTCP/NCSA telnet
>have NSF? Is there a free Mac program for NSF?

   Eudora (by Steve Dorner) is free and the latest version and docs can be
FTP'ed from ftp.qualcomm.com in /mac/eudora(/beta).

   MacTCP is NOT free anymore because Apple has decided to start charging
for their system software on a per piece basis.  Nevertheless, because of
existing agreements, it is still being distributed with some freely
distributed packages.
The latest (?) version (1.1.1, required to run with Sys 7.1), is available
with the demo package Xgator on the Sumex archives (sumex-aim.stanford.edu)
in the /info-mac/demo directory.  Of course, according to Apple, you may
not use this MacTCP with any other piece of software..........

Cheers
Harry

Harry Mangalam                                   Vox:(619) 453-4100, x250
Dept of Biocomputing                                   Fax:(619) 552-1546
The Salk Institute                        1'   mangalam at salk-sc2.sdsc.edu
10010 N Torrey Pines Rd                   2'        hjm at salk-sgi.sdsc.edu
La Jolla CA 92037                         3'         mangalam at salk.bitnet