mac/NFS

Harry Mangalam mangalam at SALK-SC2.SDSC.EDU
Fri Jan 15 13:09:45 EST 1993

Stephen Baird clarifies:

>Whoops, I meant NFS (Network File System) not NSF. NFS allows you to use a
>drive on a remote sytems as if it was a local drive.

   Well, I've been wrong before 8), but I'm pretty darned sure that NFS is
not a part of NCSA Telnet.  NCSA, while it is a pretty nice bit of software
(including a native FTP client (which (parenthetically) is not as nice as
Fetch, but still quite workable (except that they forgot to add the code to
return the server prompt)) and undeniably free, will not give you free NFS
services (and in fact I'm not sure that there exist any free NFS programs
for the Mac (corrections happily accepted, especially if you happen to find
one that allows rmt (remote mag tape) services).
   Warning: This message may  be (parenthetically) unbalanced!!

Good Hunting
Harry

Harry Mangalam                                   Vox:(619) 453-4100, x250
Dept of Biocomputing                                   Fax:(619) 552-1546
The Salk Institute                        1'   mangalam at salk-sc2.sdsc.edu
10010 N Torrey Pines Rd                   2'        hjm at salk-sgi.sdsc.edu
La Jolla CA 92037                         3'         mangalam at salk.bitnet