Looking for PC programs

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Sat Jan 23 11:03:06 EST 1993

In article <9301221954.AA10815 at phage.cshl.org> theiss at CSHL.ORG (Bobbie Peters in Computer Center - CSHL) writes:

>With Gopher I have found it easy to find MAC programs, both Molbio and
>otherwise. Can anyone point me to a gopherhole with PC programs?
>Especially molecular biology programs.
>
>Thanks
>Bobbie Peters
>User Liaison
>
> v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
>  Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory		 Voice:	(516) 367-8390
>  Box 100         			   Fax: (516) 367-9576
>  1 Bungtown Road		      Internet: <peters at cshl.org>
>  Cold Spring Harbor, NY  11724-2213, USA	  (or theiss at ...)
> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

There are lots of general use PC programs on the net and quite a few
for biology.  For help finding and retrieving such software point your
gopher at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and go to the

-->  14. Search and Retrieve Software/

directory.  What follows is a description of the contents of this directory
and its subdirectories found in the "About These Searches" file.

Happy hunting,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu

The searches and links contained in these directories
will allow you to search for and retrieve software from
ftp archives all over the world - a kind of "one-stop-
shopping" for software and databases.

1.  About These Searches.
2.  Search and Retrieve Software for All Computers/
3.  Search and Retrieve Macintosh Software/
4.  Search and Retrieve DOS Software/
5.  Search and Retrieve GNU Software/
6.  Search and Retrieve Software for Biology/

For general PC programs choose -

 4.  Search and Retrieve DOS Software/

 -->  1.  DOS programs - one line descriptions (Simtel) <?>
      2.  Oakland SIMTEL mirror /
      3.  PC (DOS) readmes <?>
      4.  Search FTP sites (Archie)/

          1.  DOS programs - one line descriptions (Simtel) <?>

                   Will search a database of one-line descriptions of the
                   files in the SIMTEL archives and its mirror sites.Once you
                   have located a program(s) with this search you
                   may want to retrieve it by using the following directory
:
                   2.  Oakland SIMTEL mirror /.

         3.  PC (DOS) readmes <?>

                   Will search the readme files residing in
                   the ftp sites all over the world.  Once you
                   have located a program(s) with this search you
                   may want to retrieve it by using the

                   5.  Search FTP sites (Archie)/  directory.

To search for PC software for biology go to -

6.  Search and Retrieve Software for Biology/

      1.  FTP Sites For Biology/
      2.  Search for Software at EMBL (Mac, Dos, Unix, Vax)/
      3.  Search for Software at Indiana - IUBio (Mac, Dos, Unix, Vax)/

In directories 2 and 3 you will find searches of descriptions of software
archived at IUBio and EMBL - the EMBL searches are done locally while the
IUbio search is done at Indiana, in any event both support booleans (and, or,
not), wildcards (*), and phrase searches ("  "). Once you have found the
programs you are interested in there are links from those directories right
into the archives.