GCGMENU using MFTU

jasper at molbiol.ox.ac.uk jasper at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 22 17:05:29 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan22.140947.13650 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, gartmann at VMS.MPIIB-FREIBURG.MPG.dbp.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:

> unfortunately I didn't realize that you need MFTU to decode MFTU on
> fileserv at wkuvx1.bitnet (and then UnZIP). Sorry for that.

Or for those who have ftp :)   Hunter Goatley's fileserver is mirrored in the
[.macro32.savesets] directory at ftp.spc.edu - loads of cool stuff here.

Since Hunter's connection to the net is through a 9600 baud line it's better,
if you can, to use the ftp option.

> By the way: as far as I know there are only two programs which are able to
> keep VMS file-attributes when encoding and decoding a file - MFTU and the new
> ZIP. As GCG-menu consists not only of executables but of RMS-datafiles and
> VMS-libraries, the only way to transfer the package properly is through one
> of the archivers mentioned above.

Zip also has great compression ratios and replaces Zoo on that count also.

> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Christoph Gartmann          Phone : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221           |
> | Max-Planck-Institut fuer    PSI   : PSI%02624505016037::GARTMANN           |
> | Immunbiologie               X400  : S=gartmann;OU=vms;O=mpiib-freiburg;    |
> | Stuebeweg 51                        P=mpg;A=dbp;C=de                       |
> | D-7800  Freiburg            RFC   : gartmann at vms.mpiib-freiburg.mpg.dbp.de |
> | FRG                           will change to:     gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de |
> +------------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for VMS? -------------+

Jasper Rees
Oxford University Molecular Biology Data Centre
and The Sir William Dunn School of Pathology

jasper at molbiol.ox.ac.uk