PC 80486

Ken Fasman ken at oscar.welch.jhu.edu
Mon Jan 25 12:01:38 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan25.090410.12066 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, schnorr at tournesol.versailles.inra.fr (Kirk Schnorr) writes:
|> I was wondering if anyone out there could inform me about the relative
|> differences between the various flavors of 486 CPU chips in PC
|> computers.  We are about to buy a new system for data aquisition and
|> proccessing for our HPLC to replace our slow and failing HP Vectra 286.
|> 	We were thinking to get a 486SX based machine since it is the
|> cheapest but I do not want to sacrifice a built in  math co-proccessor
|> or 32 bit data path it the 486SX is missing these.  Can anyone enlighten
|> me?

My understanding of the various members of the Intel 80386 and 80486 families
are as follows:

Chip		Internal	External	Floating
Designation	Data Path	Data Path	Point Unit?
-----------	---------	---------	-----------
386DX		32 bits		32 bits		No
386SX		32 bits		16 bits		No

486DX		32 bits		32 bits		Yes
486SX		32 bits		16 bits		Yes

Please note that Intel uses the "SX" designation to denote the narrower
external data path, NOT the presence or absence of a math coprocessor.

Intel has also introduced 486DX2 chips, which operate internally at double
their external clock speed.  For example, the 50 MHz 486DX2 runs internally
at 50 MHz and externally (memory, local bus video, etc.) at 25 MHz.

IBM has introduced the 386SLC and 486SLC chips, which I believe operate at
lower power consumption and have other minor performance enhancements, but I
have not seen actual confirmation of this, so please check on it.

Intel is also getting ready to introduce 486 chips which consume less power,
using a 3.3 Volt input.  I do not know the official designation of these chips.

I hope this helps a little bit.  :-)

Ken Fasman
Deputy Director of Informatics
Genome Data Base
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2024 E. Monument St.
Baltimore MD  21205

ken at library.welch.jhu.edu