Promotional texts about BioGopher and other Bio net resources????

Keith Robison robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 19 09:15:53 EST 1993

Bo Servenius <Bo.Servenius at wblab.lu.se> writes:

>Dear Netters:

>Sitting here trying to prepare a "promotional" talk about
>BioGophers and other Bio oriented net resources I need some
>ideas and inspiration. Maybe there are some nice texts or demos
>available on the net - if so please give me a tip.

If you have a World Wide Web browser (such as Mosaic, Cello, or Lynx),
try out the home page I set up at:

	http://golgi.harvard.edu/homepage.genome

This has links to many databases which are useful and good to show off.
Some nice demos are:

	SwissProt hypertext at the University of Geneva -- Amos Bairoch
	  and company have done a great job of linking SwissProt to
	  other databases (such as OMIM, ProSite, & EMBL) so that you
 	  can go from a protein to a DNA sequence to a disease  (or
	  whatever).  There are also nice 2D protein gel images linked
	  in to some entries.  Also, some specialized lists of entries
 	  have been created (such as 7-transmembrane domain G-protein-linked
	  receptors).

	Encyclopedia of the Mouse Genome (also available via gopher
	  to gopher.gdb.org -- you will need gopher+ to get images).
	  Mouse chromosome maps make a nice demo; there is much more also.
	  On-line Mendelian Inheritance in Man is another nice database
	  available at this site (there are far too many to list).

	Harvard's Herbarium has a large collection of beautiful plant photos
	  on-line (also available via gopher+ to huh.harvard.edu).

	The IUBio Gopher has some neat gopher+ sequence searching capabilities
	  (well, they sound neat -- I don't have gopher+ yet); try gophering
	  to ftp.bio.indiana.edu.  FlyBase (Drosophila) is another great
	  resource here.

There are many others.  One good idea is to tailor (to some degree) the
presentation to the audience.  What systems do they work on?  What
sort of biology (molecular, genetics, ecology, etc)?  There are so
many resources out there that there's something for almost anyone!
(though I haven't yet found any zebrafish stuff for the 3 fish labs in
my building).

Another good idea is to configure the generally-available
Internet browsers so that they point to biologically interesting places.
(either by setting aliases or environment variables on a workstation, or
creating a customized distribution for PCs).  Again, which sites are most
useful depends on the audience, but I really think you will 'convert' more
people if they automatically go to a biology site rather than to some
general internet site from which they have to hunt for some biology.

Hope this helps.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI