NEMA III UPDATE

LANGER STEVEN C sglanger at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Wed Jan 12 17:09:52 EST 1994

As per several people's request, here is the sum of
my findings thus far on the evolving NEMA/ACR
standards for medical records portability.  Hope
some of you find it useful.

/*******************************************************************/

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 17:03:26 GMT
To: sglanger at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Subject: Re: NEMA III
From: "Larry.Sieb" <Larry.Sieb at mixcom.mixcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.org.ieee

In comp.org.ieee you write:

>I'm trying to find out about the NEMA III standard for
>portable networking of medical records across TCP/IP
>networks. Does anyone know  where I could find out
>more about this?

Steve,
I believe what you are looking for is the
DIgital COmmunications in Medicice (DICOM) Standard versions 3.
which was developed jointly by NEMA and ACR (American College of
Radiology). It is NEMA Standards Publications PS 3 and is comprised
of 10 parts.  You can obtain more information from Dave Snavely at
NEMA at 202-457-1965.

Also, I'm considering marketing a DICOM browser which is an
interactive graphical application for studying the structure of
the DICOM data dictionary and the composite image objects defined in
DICOM.  This would be a great aid for developers and other interested
parties to come up to speed on the standard.

If anyone's interested please reply via e-mail.

-Larry (Larry.Sieb at mixcom.com)

Larry Sieb            		Larry.Sieb at mixcom.com
Systems Techniques, Inc. 	(414) 569-5716
1250 Newport Drive		Oconomowoc, WI 53066