bioinformatics definition

Steve & Rowan Gardner steve at gardner.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 15:48:30 EST 1994

In article: <4085 at CAMVAX.CINECA.IT>  BIOSCU at CAMVAX.CINECA.IT writes:

> We would like to know what could be, in your opinion, a sound,
> concise and - possibly - comprehensive definition of
>
>            BIOINFORMATICS.
>
> Our aims is to present the result of a general enquiry like this
> in the framework of a National Seminar on BioInformatics
> to be held in Camerino in the 3rd week of June.
>

> for the organizing committee
>
> Sincereley
>
> Alberto Polzonetti
>
> e-mail: bioscu at camvax.cineca.it

For what its worth, the best I could come up with for my thesis was....

Bioinformatics is the field that marries computational information
management techniques with an understanding and appreciation
of the significance of biological data.  Bioinformatic databases store,
retrieve, manipulate and correlate biological data from diverse
sources, providing efficient and flexible scanning tools to identify
biologically significant similarities.

The rest of it is really boring :-)

Steve Gardner