bioinformatics?

Angelo Delegeane delgene at netcom.com
Sat Jun 4 00:06:58 EST 1994

In article <2rqmhp$a9 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Guy Tremblay wrote:
: Hi net fans!

:         I would like to have some hints on the future of computing
: related to biology. I am an undergraduate student at UQAM and I am
: strongly interested in computer applications, but I am not sure of the
: market's practical needs. Do you think that IBM PCs will overwhelm UNIX
: hold on scientific applications? Where could I find some documentation?
: Information on biocomputing graduate studies?
:         Thanks in advance...
:
Being involved in Bioinformatics, I can tell you that if you are going to
depend on an IBM PC to help you, you'll find that the bioinformatics world
is going to pass you by in a flash.  With the improvements being made in chip
technology today and in the near future and with the incredible amount of
information that is being derived and managed, UNIX operating systems are the
only ones that will be able to handle the incredible load.  Sure, Apple
has been working on scripting languages but they don't compare to the power
of the shell scripts that can be written and are still to slow.

You might write to the DOE and the Human Genome Project to learn of the
current advances that are being made in bioinformatics and sequencing
technology.  Good luck!!

Angelo Delegeane
Incyte Pharmaceuticals, Inc.