Mac C compiler software

Keith Robinson keith at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca
Mon Jun 6 17:10:48 EST 1994

In article <199406030958.CAA07833 at net.bio.net>, A.Cox at rbgkew.org.uk (Tony
Cox) wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good C compiler for the Mac. I've done a bit of stuff
> on a PC + Windows but never on a Mac. Am I going to be in for a big surprise
> in making the transition?

Symantec's Think C compiler was my choice for a mac C compiler, mostly
because it's inexpensive. It's great value for the money - a
lot of people seem to do small and large programming projects with
it. If you've used Borland's TurboC compilers on DOS, then you
won't be on foreign territory with Think C. Apple also produces
a C compiler for the mac (MPW), but it's cost was well above
what I wanted to spend for learning programming on the mac.
MetroWorks CodeWarrior is the newest kid on the compiler block.
Lots of people on comp.sys.mac.programmer have good things to
say about it, and pricing is competive with Symantec's. Try
asking this question on comp.sys.mac.programmer and see what
opinions you get.

> Also, are there any good introductory books to Mac C programming?

Yep. Have a look for "Macintosh C Programming Primer, Vol I, 2nd
Edition" by Dave Mark and Cartwright Reed (Addison-Wesley, 1992) or
"Macintosh Programming Techniques" by Dan Parks Sydow (M+T
Books, 1994). I've got both, and either one would be a good
place to start. The Mark and Reed book also has a sequel, aptly
called "Macintosh C Programming Primer, Vol II" which covers
more advanced topics in macintosh programming. You may also
want to have browse through "How to Write Macintosh Software"
by Scott Knaster (Addison-Wesley, 1992), though I think it's
aimed at a more advanced level of programming. Both the Mark & Reed
and the Sydow book are available with disks with all the code,
but I find you learn more about the topic typing it all in yourself.

You'll also need to pick up some of the volumes of Apple's
programmer's reference "Inside Macintosh" - the volume "ToolBox
Essentials" is a good starting point. If you've got a CD-ROM
drive, a cheap way to get your hands on Inside Macintosh is
to buy a back issue of 'develop' (Apple's developer magazine)
from the Apple Professional Developer's Assn (APDA, email to
apda at applelink.apple.com). Included with the magazine is the
BookMark CD, which has formatted copies of the complete
Inside Macintosh series, as well as lots of other useful stuff.
Best $15 I've spent yet on programming tools.

Keith
--
 Keith Robinson                    Dept. of Biochemistry
 keith at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca   The University of Alberta