Public and Commercial Software Disasters

David Huen s.d.huen at bham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 17:11:05 EST 1994

In article <2svifr$smu at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Duncan Rouch
<drouch at molbiol.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

<stuff deleted>

> The prime cause is usually management ignorance combined with bad commercial
> consultants.  So, it might be useful if some of the computer-science know-how
> at universities was used in consultancies to help stop wasting all that
> public money on modern dinosaurs, not to mention to help the police,
> firebrigade and ambulance services do better jobs.

I doubt if many academics have ever implemented large systems, involving
large development teams, with tight performance and downtime specs and
deadlines that had to be used by relatively untrained users. If the average
university computer centre represents the level of service an academic
consultancy can yield you in a life-critical program, I'd invest in a
decent ambulance-chasing legal practice.. :-).

The skills and experience you'd want are at the top end of the commercial
sector, in businesses and organisations which have better things to do than
make large donations to a certain political party.

> Duncan Rouch
> New Chemistry Lab, University of Oxford, UK.

Hi Dunx, So that's where you are!!!!