PAUP on Power Macintosh

David R. Maddison dmaddsn at ccit.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 17 11:23:45 EST 1994

In article <16MAR199414580139 at venus.tamu.edu>, j0m1742 at venus.tamu.edu
(MANHART, JAMES) wrote:

> David, are there any plans to make MacClade available in native
> form?  The availability of native versions of both
> PAUP and MacClade would make the purchase of a Power Mac
> more than worthwhile.

Yes, we plan to make MacClade available in native form, as soon as
the relevant compiler is available.  Think Pascal will apparently not
be ported the the PowerMac, but CodeWarrior is supposed to include
a PowerPC Pascal compiler in its full release version. Currently, the
pre-release versions of CodeWarrior contain a buggy Pascal compiler that
generates only 68K code.  Most of the company's energies have been put
into C and C++, so it isn't clear when a PowerPC Pascal compiler will
appear, but I hope by the summer (or maybe a preliminary version
is in the second developer's release).

This is high priority for us - partly as Wayne and I would love to have
a faster version of MacClade for ourselves.

Doug Eernise wrote:

>and about now David is moaning, why didn't I change from Pascal
>to C earlier...

I have been wishing for the last 5 years that MacClade was written
in C, but if I had spent the time to translate it to C rather than
finish version 3, version 3 wouldn't have appeared until 1995. (110,000
lines of code is a lot to translate!)   Eventually, MacClade will
be rewritten in C++, when we can hire someone else to do the
translation...

Ted Byers wrote:

>Well, there is the option of a Pascal to C translator.  It works
>adequately for text and number crunching.  It is painful for graphics.

This may be part of the initial translation, but for three reasons,
MacClade will be primarily written from the ground up:  (1) it
is loaded with graphics calls, (2) we want it in C++, and with the
different
programming model used it would probably be best to start from scratch, and
(3) MacClade will become a modular environment, rather different internally
from the present version, with different memory structures, etc.

--
David Maddison
University of Arizona        dmaddsn at ccit.arizona.edu