how to find an Email address

John Corradi corradj at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Mon Sep 12 15:21:43 EST 1994

In article <351u50$k2q at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, kulmburg at sun1.ukl.uni-freiburg.de
(Peter Kulmburg) wrote:

> Dear collegues,
>
> I have a problem common to several of my internet friends: I know somebody
> has an email address and I know a little bit of where he or she is. Is
> there a possibility to check that out with Mosaic (is there an URL out with
> a serchable catalog, accepting names or institute's names?). It should be
> something like "archie for email addresses".
>
> To give you an exemple: I am looking for Dr. E.(M?) CANTIN at the "City of
> Hope" in Duarte, California. How am I to proceed with Mosaic?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> Sincerely yours         Peter
>
> Peter KULMBURG (193.196.226.110    MacName: ktl110.ukl.uni-freiburg.de)
> home: Tel./Fax:+49 761 808439   work: Tel.:+49 761 270/7195   Fax:/7177

Peter,
I haven't found a URL for Mosaic yet, but a good way to search for an email
address is by using the Netfind service.  Telnet to ds.internic.net or
bruno.cs.colorado.edu and login as 'netfind'.  It's easy from there.  I'm
sure there are sites closer to you, but I don't know them offhand.  You are
still limited by the availability of nameservers at the location you are
checking, but Netfind seems to try everything before it gives up.  Hope
this helps.

John Corradi                      |   The opinions expressed above are my
The Rockefeller University        |   own and do not represent...blah,
corradj at rockvax.rockefeller.edu   |   blah, blah.