how to find an Email address

Dietmar Tietz Dietmar.Tietz at agrar.uni-giessen.de
Wed Sep 14 03:07:26 EST 1994

On 12 Sep 1994, Peter Kulmburg wrote:

> Dear collegues,
>
> I have a problem common to several of my internet friends: I know somebody
> has an email address and I know a little bit of where he or she is. Is
> there a possibility to check that out with Mosaic (is there an URL out with
> a serchable catalog, accepting names or institute's names?). It should be
> something like "archie for email addresses".
>
> To give you an exemple: I am looking for Dr. E.(M?) CANTIN at the "City of
> Hope" in Duarte, California. How am I to proceed with Mosaic?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> Sincerely yours         Peter
>
> Peter KULMBURG (193.196.226.110    MacName: ktl110.ukl.uni-freiburg.de)
> home: Tel./Fax:+49 761 808439   work: Tel.:+49 761 270/7195   Fax:/7177

Peter,

If you ever want to find someone's email address on the internet and know
just their name, there is a thing called the MIT's USENET USER LIST. What you
do is you send a message to a place in MIT, and it will give you their email
address. The only catch is that person whose email address you are interested
in getting must have posted a message to one of the USENET newsgoups. OK,
here are the details :

The subject line can be anything but the body of the message should ONLY be
ONE line long and should say :

send usenet-addresses/name

(where you see the word name above, put in the name of the person whose email
address you are trying to find out, like the following example does)

send usenet-addresses/Kulmburg

The Internet utilities Finger and Whois are not as useful for finding
people as the MIT's USENET USER LIST is.

Another possibility is to use gopher and veronica to search for a person's
name.  You can also try NetFind.  I understand that Mosaic and the WWW
allow you to access gopher information.

Good luck!

Dietmar Tietz

*           Dietmar Tietz, Ph.D.,  Research Scientist            *
*            Biostatistics, Justus-Liebig-University             *
*            Ludwigstr. 27, D-35390 Giessen, Germany             *
*                  Phone: +49-(641)-702-6015                     *
*                   Fax: +49-(641)-702-5995                      *
*              Email: Dietmar.Tietz at Uni-Giessen.de               *