Protein Secondary Structure Analysis

Jeffrey L Nauss naussjl at ucunix.san.uc.edu
Thu Sep 15 08:24:51 EST 1994

In article <1994Sep13.153554.18325 at Princeton.EDU> micky at berthaw.princeton.edu (Michael West) writes:
>Does anyone know of a program which will read a protein's pdb file, and then
>make secondary structure assignments to each amino acid?  Any suggestions or
>information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You might try the program DSSP from EMBL-Heidelberg.  I have found it
very fast and easy to use.  It is based on the Kabsch and Sander rules
defined in the reference:

   Kabsch, W. and Sander, C.;  Dictionary of  protein  secondary  structure:
      Pattern  recognition  of  hydrogen-bonded  and  geometrical  features.
      Biopolymers 22, 2577-2637 (1983).

I obtained my copy of the program from Dr. Sander by writing to him at

	Dr. Chris Sander
	EMBL
	D 6900 Heidelberg
	Germany

Also, his FAX number is +49-6221-387 306.  And his e-mail address is
Chris.Sander at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE

The program is free but an academic license must be completed
nevertheless.

--
Jeff Nauss				Texas A&M Class of '77
Department of Chemistry			Gig 'em, Aggies!