Blast information

Keith Robison robison at lipid.harvard.edu
Sat Sep 24 23:50:52 EST 1994

Reinhard Doelz (doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch) wrote:
: Christoph Gartmann (GARTMANN at IMMUNBIO.MPG.DE) wrote:
: : In <B195E02A947F2010E6 at MVX36.CSATA.IT> LIUNI at MVX36.CSATA.IT writes:

: : >  Can anyone tell me if a Version of the BLAST program is available on
: : >  GCG package interface in VAX/VMS Operating System.

: : It is supposed to be part of GCG V8.0 which is currently being shipped.

: Keep in mind that there is a difference between a local version of
: BLAST, and a client version of BLAST. The latter gets you the results
: from the NCBI (after registration), whereas the local version requires
: storage and CPU resources. Local databases are in danger to be outdated,
: and remote databases might contain entries you need to 'fetch' first.

The recent posting from the GCG folks seemed to imply that the BLAST
in version 8 could work as either a client to NCBI or on a local database
-- is this true, or did I misread something?

Your points regarding the tradeoff are well taken; will version 8 have
any support for NetEntrez data retrieval as part of FETCH?

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu