DNA software needed!

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Mon Sep 26 08:55:44 EST 1994

Inst. f. Biochemistry (dh7y at .pop.th-darmstadt.de) wrote:
: I'm searching free software for DNA and protein sequence alignment and
: for secondary structure prediction of RNA for MSDOS or MS Windows.
: I searched the EMBL archive, but there must be something better!
: Further I'm looking for a good plasmid drawing program.

This seems to become a FAQ. Should we compile one? (Unfortunately, the
software reviews in TIBS have mainly focused on Macs.) Maybe we should
discuss a format of the FAQ (suggestions: sort software package by
platform, give short descriptions and pointers where one can ftp it).

Free MSDOS/Windows software for alignment:

- Fasta
- Blast
- Sim (a Smith-Waterman alignment package, available from
       ftp.embl-heidelberg.de, especially suited for very large sequences)

multiple alignment:
- Macaw
- ClustalV

--Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */