Where is DISTANCE ? (population abundance from distance data)

Dirk Miller dmiller at WYOMING.COM
Fri Dec 15 09:42:44 EST 1995

>Hi all !
>I am looking for DISTANCE, a freeware prgm developed
>by JL Laake to estimate the abundance of biological
>populations from so-called "distance data" i.e.
>sightings of individuals or groups done from line
>transects or point transects.
>
>Any info on an ftp site where DISTANCE can be obtained
>will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Greetings:

Here are a few web sites that should be helpful to folks interested in
Wildlife/Fisheries related software.  I would bet you will find DISTANCE at
this first site.

http://nhsbig.inhs.uiuc.edu
Illinois Natural History Survey - Wildlife Ecology Software Server
they have a LOT of software, I'm sure that DISTANCE is there, although I
didn't check.

http://uni-sb.de/philfak/fb6/fr66/tpw/telem/telem.htm
Telemetry clearing house.

http://www.cnr.colostate.edu/~gwhite/software.html
Dr. Gary White maintains a page with the software developed at Colorado
State.  Dr. Laake got his Ph.D. at CSU, they have developed many programs of
value to wildlife types (CAPTURE, RELEASE, NOMARK, etc.).

http://www.us.net/wildlife
The Wildlife Society's Home Page.  I'm not sure if they have links to these
or other software repositories but I'm sure they could hook you up with Jeff
Laake.

Hope this helps!

**
** Dirk Miller
** dmiller at wyoming.com
** Fish Population Supervisor, Wyoming Game and Fish Department
** President, American Fisheries Society Computer User Section
**
** 528 S. Adams St.
** Laramie, WY  82070
**
** Voice (307) 742-6007 -- FAX (307) 742-6408
**