Software allowing IBM to read Mac disks

Tim Cutts tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 6 06:09:48 EST 1995

Tony Hodge <tph at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>I'm really glad that Apple have maintained upward and downward
>compatability so well  even with the transition to Power PC, by the
>way, where are the IBM PPC machines - being designed on Pentium
>"estimators"?

IBM PowerPC machines have been available for some time (the low end
RS/6000 systems use the PowerPC chips).  They haven't released a
PowerPC Reference Platform compatible machine yet, but neither have
Apple.  PowerMacs are not PReP, as far as I know.  So they've
basically done the same as Apple, but less visibly, since the RS/6000
Unix market is not as high profile as the Mac one.  But you get
similar benefits to PowerMacs... an RS/6000 with AIX comes with
Windows emulation, just like the PowerMac, for example.

Not that I'd buy either!  I'm waiting for a PReP machine to come out
on which I have a choice of operating systems.  It'll be nice to have
a machine on which I can run any of System 7, NT, AIX or OS/2 (the
latter being my preferred option).  If Apple would support any other
operating system than System 7 (and A/UX doesn't count for this
discussion), I'd go and buy a PowerMac today.

Tim.