Xwindow emulator for DOS platform

Tim Cutts tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 07:12:27 EST 1995

bsspak at bath.ac.uk (P A Keller) writes:

>In the referenced article, vittalk at physics.iisc.ernet.in (Vittal Krishnamurthy) writes:
>>Does anyone know of Xwindow emulator software for DOS platform
>>
>>Actually I work on a DOS system(Pentium) from which I telnet to
>> Silicon Graphics system (Iris,Indigo). To exploit the full features of
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>SGI(Xwindow), I need to maake my DOS machine an Xclient to the Xwindow
> ^^^
>>server.

>I use eXceed for Windows as the X server at the PC end, and on the whole I
>am happy with it.

>A word of warning - you won't be able (yet) to exploit the "full features
>of SGI" on a PC, because many SGI programs use a graphics library called GL
>which is not part of standard X. Important examples are Showcase, the
>protein structure viewing program Grasp and the protein structure database
>querying program IDITIS, but there are plenty of others. If you try to run
>such a program, you will get (after a long delay) an error message such
>as:

>  dgl error (TCP connect): Connection timed out
>  dgl error (default init): default dglopen(bspc-pak:0.0,4) returned -126

>which is a sign that the software couldn't find a GL server on your display
>machine. I am told that Windows 95 will support OpenGL, which should help
>with many cases, but I don't know any details. I should imagine that a very
>high performance system (such as your Pentium) would be needed to run it.

Of course, you'd need a version of eXceed that knows specifically how
to cope with Windows 95 (6789), in order to get OpenGL functionality,
and who knows when that's likely to appear.

Linux/XFree86 doesn't support GL either, so you'll get the same error
under Linux (although you'll get ot rather sooner!)

>In summary, don't assume that if you get something running in a window on
>the SGI's own display, that you can do the same across the network on a PC
>(or any other type of display) running an X server.

Most of the SGI Desktop works OK.  It's just the GL stuff that doesn't
(such as the SGI test editor, but you can always use emacs, xedit, aXe
or anything else that just uses standard X protocol).

Tim.