PAUP question

Susan Farmer sfarmer at goldsword.com
Mon Mar 20 21:24:22 EST 1995

I'm giving a seminar on Tree Statistics (in my Phylogeny class) on the 27th
and I have a question on some output produced by PAUP.  I hope someone can
provide the answer or Dr. Swofford's address so I can ask him directly.

The output in question is:

Tree description:

	Unrooted tree(s) rooted using outgroup method
	Character-state optimization: Accelerated transformation (ACCTRAN)

Tree number 1 (rooted using user-specified outgroup):

Tree length = 95
Consistency index (CI) = 0.737
Homoplasy index (HI) = 0.263
CI excluding uninformative characters = 0.621
HI excluding uninformative characters = 0.379
Retention index (RI) = 0.405
Rescaled consistency index (RC) = 0.298
f value = 74
f-ratio = 0.2624
	(multistate unordered and stepmatrix characters
	 excluded from f-value calculations)

What exactly is the "f value" and the "f-ratio"?  I've scoured the manual
and cannot find this mentioned or included in any of the output examples.

Thank you for your help.

Susan

--
Susan B. Farmer     sfarmer at goldsword.com     Lady Jerusha Kilgore
I can't even find time to clean house and you want me to come up with a .sig?