gel documenting system and software for gel analysis

Ed Rybicki ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Fri May 23 13:36:18 EST 1997

milen wrote:
> I will be pleased to hear your comments on the best system for
> documenting, scanning and recognition of gels(P&NA).
>
> Which manugfacturer offers the best equipment in terms of cost/benefit ratio?
> What is the acceptable price for such a system?

We find that the GDS system from UV Products is very cost effective and
very friendly: you seem to have quite a few options, from hardware only
to hardware plus various software modules.  We already had a thermal
printer and video camera (monochrome); they traded in our camera on a
new one and we only bought a "black box" with disk drives for storage of
images / image processing (rudimentary).  We spent about R20 000 (US$6
000 or so): we use freely available software for gel analysis, etc.,
meaning we saved about US$2 000 x 3 on other software options.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time..."