Principal Middleware / Internet Engineer
Encyclopaedia Britannica (EB) is the provider of the world's oldest
continuously published and, arguably, most famous reference books. While
we may be perceived as a conservative and scholarly organization, the
level of excitement here is teeming as our employees share their talents
in driving Encyclopaedia Britannica into the 21st Century. Encyclopaedia
Britannica, we have been on the cutting edge of "The Information Age"
Senior Member of the Online Development Team of engineers
responsible for developing software for Encyclopaedia Britannica's (EB)
suite of online products. These products currently are: Britannica
Internet Guide (www.ebig.com), a unique, proprietary search engine that
enables richer, and more refined searches on the Internet, and
Britannica On Line (www.eb.com), the Internet equivalent of
Encyclopaedia Britannica's print set. It will be the responsibility of
Online Development Team Members to architect, design, develop, and
implement new online, interactive products, as well as enhance the
current products. Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Architect the designs of multiple applications which are cooperatively
combined to enhance overall functionality.
* Responsible for the overall design and coding of the application.
* Coordinate resources, schedule assignments, and communications for
application development projects.
* Assist in the development of project schedules and task assignments
for assigned project(s).
* Contribute to the development of a standard development process, such
that online product quality is assured and measurable.
Summary of Qualifications
Education and training requirements include a BSCS or equivalent
(advanced degree a plus) along with at least 7+ years of software
development experience and two years in a team leadership role. Skills
and knowledge requirements include:
* Experience with formal software development processes and methods for
measuring product quality resulting from process.
* Software programming in both procedural and object-oriented languages
(especially, UNIX, C, C++, SQL).
* Comprehensive knowledge and experience using production software tools
(compilers, makefiles, defect tracking, version control, etc.).
* Experience with relational databases (Informix strongly preferred) and
Internet/Web Site development (HTML, CGI, Java, TCL, Perl).
Required Skills: Unix, C/C++, Informix (relational database), Java,
Desired Skills: Perl, tcl/tk, awk, sed
Soft Skills: Must be able to demonstrate strong project/team leadership
skills. Excellent communications skills are required. Full software
development life-cycle experience is required.
Start Date: ASAP
Employment Type: Full-Time Employee (no contract positions available).
Pay Rate: Very! Competitive
Location: Chicago, IL - 60604
Contact: Encyclopaedia Britannica
E-mail: staffing at eb.com