publication-quality protein alignments

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at UKans.nolospamare.edu
Sat May 23 17:50:30 EST 1998

On Mon, 18 May 1998 11:46:59, Thomas Siegmund
<sgmd at genetik.biologie.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Jonathan Epstein:
> >I am looking for some software to produce attractive proteins alignments
> >suitable for publication.  It possible, this software should run on a
> >Macintosh or a Web-based platform.
SeqPup, written by Don Gilbert at U Indiana, does good sequence alignments and
has "hooks" to a large number of public-domain alignment and analysis programs
(Clustal, Phylip, etc.) It was originally written for the Mac (I think), but
the latest version is written in Java and runs on any machine which supports
Java 1.1. (I haven't used it extensively, as I am very happy with GeneDoc.)
Seqpup is at http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/soft/molbio/seqpup/java (same for
ftp: but without the /soft/).
| Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox:785-864-3939  FAX:785-864-5321 |
| Department of Biochemistry, |   PGegen at UKans.removethis.edu          |
|   Cell & Molecular Biology  |   http://RNAworld.Bio.UKans.edu/   |
| Department of Botany        |                                    |
| University of Kansas        |                                    |
| 2045 Haworth Hall           | "The sleep of reason produces      |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  monsters."                  Goya  |